Thursday, February 07, 2008

Obligatory Lenten Post

If you are looking for passionate, reverant and Holy thoughts go elsewhere.

I keep my penitance on the downlow. Its between me and Him, yo.

Its Lent. That means we need to subject our children to crafts. I guess. Apparently. (Brenna and Calum are fond of that word. I assume that means I use it too often.) Here are some wacked ideas. And a few I like. So you dont think I am a cynical cow. (which I am.)

Crown of Thorns centerpiece! Keep track of your good deeds by collecting toothpicks! Everyone watch as we do good deeds and pull out a toothpick!

This one is perplexing to me. I mean, did you hear the reading yesterday? No? I hear Ash Wednesday isnt a Holy Day of Obligation everywhere. Let me give you a little bit of a Biblical lesson here (don't worry it wont become a regular thing.)

1 "(But) take care not to perform righteous deeds in order that people may see them; otherwise, you will have no recompense from your heavenly Father.
2
When you give alms, do not blow a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites 2 do in the synagogues and in the streets to win the praise of others. Amen, I say to you, they have received their reward.
3
But when you give alms, do not let your left hand know what your right is doing,
4
so that your almsgiving may be secret. And your Father who sees in secret will repay you.

That is Matthew. I like him a lot. What do you think he'd think of this Crown of Thorns? I think he'd say, uh HELLO? Self congratulatory much? But then I can see where its good for the kids to have a tangible way to reckon up their sacrifices. Maybe I think you ought to do it during Advent with the straw for Baby Jesus instead. For one thing it is a way cuter centerpiece.

Ok here's another freaky one. Resurrection Cookies! yeah? Who dreamed this one up, is what I'd like to know. My favorite portion of the recipe is where we beat the nuts just like the Romans beat Jesus. "Sometimes children have to learn by doing" has gone too far here.

Here's a bizarre one- scroll down a bit. Clothespin Jesus. Jesus suffered enough. Now we render him in clothespins. Hanging on the cross and hanging out the laundry. I can see how she came up with that.

For non creepy ideas click here Crafty ideas are here And finally, DONT OVERDUE LENT. HAHA permission to not do any crafts at all. YAY!

Our Lenten goals are pretty simple. We are going to try and make a home altar and we will try to pray together every day. I mean really pray, not just me screaming JESUS MARY AND JOSEPH WHO MADE THIS MESS a hundred times a day.

No comments: