Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Shouldn't a catholic church look catholic?

I think so. I like a few statues, a big gigantic crucifix with those 4 letters I-N-R-I (which baffled me as a child, and which I still can't recall the meaning of except its something latin for King of the Jews))and I really prefer the altar to have some sort of throne like structure for the priest to sit on, and I like a shiny golden Tabernacle with a glowing candle nearby.

My church has none of that. My church is large and round and plain. The Tabernacle, which is a big box where the Blessed Sacrament resides, is in the back. In fact you can't see it at all unless you really go over to the small chapel and peek in. Im not really sure I ever have done that.

I miss the visible banks of lit candles near the front. I like the really reverant old school mass of my childhood, with all boys on the altar and very formal priestly garb.

But so what.

None of that matters all that much in the long run. My preferences are relatively unimportant.

Our church serves and that matters way more. WWJD? quibble about the decor of his house or get out there and help people?

Im no bible scholar but I am guessing I know where Jesus stands on the relative importance of human trappings of the Body of Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to go back to the Old Testament and read God's desire for how the Holiest of Holies was to be constructed. Church architecture that does lead to a sense of the sacred and worship is not only important, but indispensible.

Jen said...

I agree with you. I completely understand the desire for a place that feels holy. At the same time, a church that spends its money on serving the poor, feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the imprisoned, ministering to those who are widowed, might not have the extra funds to look as fancy. I think that's fine.

Anonymous said...

While performing corporal works of mercy is important, you have to be careful not to make it a means to an end itself(you'll find many Protestant faiths making this mistake). Do you think the beautiful Catholic churches and cathedrals built in Europe were always constructed by wealthy parishioners? Besides, studies have shown that it does not cost all that much more to build Churches that inspire worship and sacredness (read the book "Ugly As Sin"). I've often found that some of the ugliest Catholic Church's out there are built in financially well off or "progressive" areas of the city, and some of the most beautiful are faithfully maintained in poorer areas.

Sarah said...

Well Patrick, our church is neither ugly nor lacking a sense of the sacred. Its a little plain but I can live with it when the people of the church are so busy engaging with their community, as my parishioners are. As for the Old testament, remind me to go read that book about the guy who lives biblically for a year. I keep forgetting how much I want to read that.