Thursday, March 06, 2008

Sing with me

Im dreaming of a new math curriculum
nothing like the one Im using now
With more real life math skills
and less need for chill pills

something somehing
daydreams in the snowwwwww.

One problem with having been a very successful school kid is that I get sort of wrapped up in typical school methods. I have utterly embraced some of the concepts of Charlotte Mason and my kids thrive on being read to and discussing what they hear. But math has always been a "here's your workbook, get down to it" subject.

I want it to stay like that frankly, bc otherwise my voice will give out and I'll never do the dishes. You would think they could do something school like without me sitting on the couch with them like we do history and lit.

But given the trouble we've been having lately with someone's defeatist attitude I'm torn between my two personalities- one says sit down, shut up and do it!

the other says ehhhh let it go awhile.

The practical approach would be to find a way to make math meaningful and encourage the mental approach in real life. IE unschool the math a while. Strew the multiplication opportunities and allow him to gravitate towards them and do it in a real life way.

oh help.

unschooling. done well, the scariest and most teacher intensive homeschooling style of them all.

3 comments:

Suburban Correspondent said...

Too teacher intensive, if you ask me...

With math, it varies with the student. We use A Beka (the workbook pages are less "scary") for elementary grades. I don't make them do every single problem. And I set the timer, so they know they won't be sitting there forever. My oldest hates, hates, hates math, and believe me, I tried everything. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and do it, you know? Just like life...

E-mail me if you want more details, I've got a ton to say!

Sarah said...

we are using singapore now and I am leaning toward getting math u see.

shay said...

I followed Suburbancorrespondent (I think) Over here and

....I don't have any advice, just a hug and a "me too!. Oh I've felt like that. Me too" and I only read a couple of your posts.

I'm using Saxon with my boys but if he doesn't like "doing math" then it's a bad choice. My youngest son who is gifted in the math area, hates it! Hates math suddenly :( so I am finding myself in the same position, I must find new math - yikes! He wants to go back to Horizon's which he remembers loving. I think I'll let him.

Is Charlotte Mason good? Will it send me into a tailspin of self doubt and loathing? I'm too scared to read it:)