Sunday, February 10, 2008

Do you ever feel like you are living in

Someone else's house?

I have always felt that way a little bit. Probably that was rational what with us renting for all but two years of our married lives.

Its awkward tho, when you buy a home you like and yet you feel like its not your own.

Its hard to know how to make it your own. We have been in here since November 11th or thereabouts and we have done some minor decorating- we painted 2 out of 3 of the kids rooms. We painted the downstairs bathroom. Twice. As it turns out the green from Cal's bedroom looked BAD in a small windowless room. A light greyish blue is better suited to the muted colors of downstairs.

Every room in the house is decorated mostly with detritus from whatever kid game was last played in that room. The problem (?) with a large house is that I can often just avoid the mess by not going into particular rooms. Just today I accidentally glanced into the video game area of the basement while going into the laundry area. It looks like TRU exploded in a garbage dump. I was aghast and promised myself not to ever look left again while headed to the laundry room.

If I could only get control of the children's "decorating" then maybe I could get ahold of what it is I should be doing to make this house look like our home.

Or maybe the mess makes it and I should just embrace it as a style and move on. Early 21st century rat's nest. Thats how we roll.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I don't feel like this is my house either. I still have the previous owners' kids' height measurements on the pantry door. I feel like it would be wrong to paint over them. (Because I'm crazy.) (Also because it gives me great pride to know the boys at 3.5 are taller than Evan at 4. Rock on, random tall people genes!)

Sarah said...

DUDE, I had a similar issue- we pulled out the fridge and found pics and Mother's day magnets from previous owner's kids! I actually kept them for like 2 months bc I felt it was rude to throw them out. Finally one day I snapped and cackled as they were smashed in the trash compactor. Ok, not really. But I did toss them.

Suburban Correspondent said...

It takes time, is all. You'll get there.